Tackling the Climate Crisis
Every Virginian deserves access to a safe, sustainable environment. However, across Virginia, worsening effects of climate change are exceedingly visible – from rising sea levels, to devastating storms to unhealthy heat islands in our urban areas – and present long-term threats to our economy, health and future. And, decades of segregation, redlining, and historical underinvestment in infrastructure means that many communities of color are paying an even higher cost in this climate crisis.
With local, state and national experience addressing our climate crisis, in both climate change mitigation and adaptation, Andria is equipped with the skills necessary to push for access to a cleaner, greener and healthier Virginia for everyone.
Andria will use her role as Lieutenant Governor to:
Andria will place climate change mitigation and adaptation efforts, with a focus on environmental justice, at the top of her agenda.
- Accelerate progress on Virginia’s 100% Clean Energy goal.
- Foster incentives for electric vehicles (EVs); support a statewide EV charging network; and, expedite the electrification of the state fleet of vehicles.
- Improve access to clean renewable energy for families, schools, businesses and local governments.
- Encourage the creation of a Commonwealth Flood Board to address and fund flood mitigation statewide.
- Continue to expand support for Resilience Innovations (RISE) to identify and support new flood mitigation, environmental protection and resilience technologies.
- Champion the use of Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI) auction funds to implement energy-efficiency upgrades in low/moderate income communities and support funding for regional flood mitigation planning.
- Lead Virginia in joining the multi-state Transportation & Climate Initiative (TCI) with a goal of reducing carbon emissions and improving air quality.
- Work to update the state building code to address improved energy efficiency and resilience.
- Stand up a statewide task force to identify ways to improve recycling in the Commonwealth.
- Support increased transit access to reduce pollution emissions and congestion.
Supporting A Green Economy
- Support funding for The University of Virginia’s College at Wise (UVA-Wise) to enhance renewable energy research, and support “green job” and “blue job” certification options throughout the Virginia Community College system.
- Work with the agricultural community to enhance the use of compost and encourage the expansion of carbon-sequestering cover crops; and identify community-based best practices in micro-farming and composting.
- Support improved Chesapeake Bay water quality through expanded use of Stormwater Local Assistance Funds.
- Join Mid-Atlantic and national efforts to protect our natural resources, most notably the Chesapeake Bay, national forests and state parks.
Andria’s record addressing the climate crisis:
- Represents Norfolk, Virginia, a city at the frontline of climate change and second only to New Orleans in terms of flood risk.
- Wrote Hampton Roads’ first regional Climate Action Plan which will help Norfolk begin to focus on reducing its carbon footprint and reducing our energy costs.
- Helped to secure $120 million dollars to address sea level rise in southeast Virginia.
- Brought the first all-electric transit buses to the Commonwealth.
- Adopted the most resilient zoning code in the country to ensure sustainable development.
- Passed region-wide resolutions to ban off-shore drilling and in support of off-shore wind with the Hampton Roads Planning District Commission.